Our process and pledge
Congratulations! You’ve made your first step toward better health and wellness! After you’ve made an appointment, I email you an intake form that asks simple questions about your goals, usual eating patterns, and health history.
Everything we do together is tailored around your goals and needs. I coach you through the process of changing what and how you eat, but also guide you through the whys of each change. You never make a change you’re not comfortable with. We work together without guilt, judgment, or shame about food choices or body image.
We promise to guide you through nutrition changes with respect, non-judgement, and support. We honor your health history, goals, needs, lifestyle, and mental health. We never sell you supplements, oils, pills, or shakes. We keep our business free of conflict-of-interest to make sure your interests come first.
Real Nutrition accepts Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cigna, and PacificSource. Call your insurance provider to check if your plan covers nutrition service. Your visit may be covered at no cost to you!
Ask your insurance company:
- Do I have nutrition benefits?
- Is there a limit to the number of visits?
- Does it matter why I see the dietitian?
If an insurance claim is filed, but denied, you will be responsible for the full price of the visit.
$175: 60-minute nutrition consultation (due at time of service)
$675: Athlete package
$50: Body composition scan
Healthy Changes packages: contact me for details
Package details under the “Pricing” menu at the top of the page
Payments are due at time of service. Prompt-pay rates are listed above. Payment billed/received after time of service are billed at a higher rate of $253 for an initial 60-minute consultation, or $209 for a follow-up 60-minute consultation.
- "As someone recovering from an eating disorder, working with Marisa kickstarted the process of breaking down long-term negative thoughts and emotions I had about food. Marisa helped me identify certain thought patterns as “eating disorder” thoughts which helped me rise above deeply ingrained ways of thinking. By working with Marisa, I learned how to trust my body to try, and subsequently enjoy, different foods. I have since slowly started the process of intuitive eating and am on my way to being a better human because of it. I know I could not have started this process without Marisa's help!” - Kennedy
- I met with Marisa for diet and nutritional advice that would allow me to be active and get results while working 60+ hours per work week. Previously, I tried diets such as Keto and Advocare plans with no success. Marisa gave me great information on how energy and carbs work, appropriate food choices, and a daily plan for calories and macros. Since implementing, I've had a lot of energy to have great workouts, lost 6 lbs, without the need for supplementation. I fully recommend working with Marisa for nutritional advice.
- I found Marisa Michael's nutrition workshop for dancers absolutely wonderful. She had the dancers write down a nutrition question beforehand and for her to review before the class. She was very engaged with the students and was extremely well prepared and thorough. There was involvement with the dancers from the get go so they felt it was for and about them. Ms. Michael talked about the topic of eating disorders with grace and authenticity. A difficult subject to bring up in the dance world but she handled it with great skill.I would recommend Marisa to all athletes and dancers as a go to person that really understands the nutritional needs of such active young people.~Nancy Davis, Artistic Director, The Portland Ballet
- Dana E."Marisa Michael put together a fantastic workshop. She came with slides, handouts, and even food to taste. We wanted a fun, interactive experience and this was it. The members of the group were quickly brought together in a discussion around what is a healthy lifestyle, how does fitness and nutrition fit into our lives, and how to enjoy mindful eating. We got to try different foods and...learn about making healthy, quick, and tasty meals to improve our health. The group had some specific requests for the workshop and Marisa came prepared to help everyone learn and connect with one another as well. She was available for questions afterwards and inspired complete cooperation from this diverse group of adults. We hope to hear from her again." ~D.E.
- "I have been running on the hamster wheel since I went on my first diet at 23 years old. I've had an unhealthy body image since my teens. I constantly compared myself to every girl who was smaller, prettier and in my mind better than me. I was never fat, but I didn't know that. When my doctor (yes my actual primary care physician) gave me a diet plan and I lost 20 pounds it was exciting, and I have been chasing that high all my life. The saying that I wish I was as fat now as I was when I first thought I was fat is so true. Weight gains and losses, binges, purging, food restriction, guilt, shame...have all been my bed fellows for the past 24 years. When I found Marisa Michael it was to, yet again, find the help I needed to lose weight and master my "demon food". I never would have guessed that Marisa would change me in ways I had not expected. She introduced me to Intuitive Eating. Learning to feed myself based on feelings of hunger and fullness was something I could barely wrap my head around. You mean health and wellness isn't just a number on a scale?! What! I have learned and continue to learn to eat when I'm hungry, to stop when I am full, to eat regular meals and snacks and to choose foods that I need (sometimes want) the most. I'm no longer bingeing or purging. It still takes conscious thought and effort at times but it's easier every day. Most importantly I've learned patience with my food and I've gotten off of the diet train forever. Every time I doubted the process (and there were a few), once I met with my amazing dietician guru Marisa she continued to advise me and encourage me to continue the process and work. Each time I would follow her advice and my intuitive eating skills would grow. I would grow. I knew I was on the right track. For anyone who wants to get off the diet train and learn to love food, love themselves and live life to the fullest Marisa Michael can lead you there. I am thankful everyday that I met her." ~Angie Sauer
- Marisa Michael’s body composition scan is really interesting and gave me a lot of insight. I was able to see my muscle and fat via ultrasound and compare it to how my body will look in a could months, after marathon training. She’s helped me immensely with my diet during my training. Before I met with Marisa, I had no idea what proper nutrition looked like for a marathoner; now I know how to eat properly to fuel my body for training and recovery.