Our process and pledge
Congratulations! You’ve made your first step toward better health and wellness! After you’ve made an appointment, I email you an intake form that asks simple questions about your goals, usual eating patterns, and health history.
Everything we do together is tailored around your goals and needs. I coach you through the process of changing what and how you eat, but also guide you through the whys of each change. You never make a change you’re not comfortable with. We work together without guilt, judgment, or shame about food choices or body image.
We promise to guide you through nutrition changes with respect, non-judgement, and support. We honor your health history, goals, needs, lifestyle, and mental health. We never sell you supplements, oils, pills, or shakes. We keep our business free of conflict-of-interest to make sure your interests come first.
Real Nutrition accepts Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cigna, and PacificSource. Call your insurance provider to check if your plan covers nutrition service. Your visit may be covered at no cost to you!
Ask your insurance company:
- Do I have nutrition benefits?
- Is there a limit to the number of visits?
- Does it matter why I see the dietitian?
If an insurance claim is filed, but denied, you will be responsible for the full price of the visit.
$150: 60-minute nutrition consultation (due at time of service)
$575: Athlete package
$50: Body composition scan
Healthy Changes packages: contact me for details
Package details under the “Pricing” menu at the top of the page
Payments are due at time of service. Prompt-pay rates are listed above. Payment billed/received after time of service are billed at a higher rate of $253 for an initial 60-minute consultation, or $209 for a follow-up 60-minute consultation.
- "One of my main concerns is that my teen would burn out too quickly. We wanted to make sure she was getting enough of the right kind of nutrition to help her physically and academically. Marisa talked us through her daily schedule and goals...gave suggestions of what type of food to fuel her through the day and workouts. [Marisa] was a great resource for both of us. I'd highly recommend Marisa to help you make the most out of your nutrition. Plus she's awesome."
- I'm a local runner and wanted to get advice for diet and training purposes. Did an online search for local nutritionists and found Marisa. Scheduled an appointment met up and was very happy with her presentation and care she provided. I'm currently doing much better health wise and made improvements on my recent metobolic panel blood work results during my annual physical exam. I'm also a stronger runner as a result of advice and feedback provided.
- "I have been running on the hamster wheel since I went on my first diet at 23 years old. I've had an unhealthy body image since my teens. I constantly compared myself to every girl who was smaller, prettier and in my mind better than me. I was never fat, but I didn't know that. When my doctor (yes my actual primary care physician) gave me a diet plan and I lost 20 pounds it was exciting, and I have been chasing that high all my life. The saying that I wish I was as fat now as I was when I first thought I was fat is so true. Weight gains and losses, binges, purging, food restriction, guilt, shame...have all been my bed fellows for the past 24 years. When I found Marisa Michael it was to, yet again, find the help I needed to lose weight and master my "demon food". I never would have guessed that Marisa would change me in ways I had not expected. She introduced me to Intuitive Eating. Learning to feed myself based on feelings of hunger and fullness was something I could barely wrap my head around. You mean health and wellness isn't just a number on a scale?! What! I have learned and continue to learn to eat when I'm hungry, to stop when I am full, to eat regular meals and snacks and to choose foods that I need (sometimes want) the most. I'm no longer bingeing or purging. It still takes conscious thought and effort at times but it's easier every day. Most importantly I've learned patience with my food and I've gotten off of the diet train forever. Every time I doubted the process (and there were a few), once I met with my amazing dietician guru Marisa she continued to advise me and encourage me to continue the process and work. Each time I would follow her advice and my intuitive eating skills would grow. I would grow. I knew I was on the right track. For anyone who wants to get off the diet train and learn to love food, love themselves and live life to the fullest Marisa Michael can lead you there. I am thankful everyday that I met her." ~Angie Sauer
- "It is difficult to put into words how much Marisa has positively impacted my life. After speaking with several nutritionists, she took me in, listened to my emotional breakdowns, emailed me after hours to answer my random late-night questions, and was a consistent rock of information in my life (and still is). She knew how to speak to me in a language that I could understand and appreciate while backing it up with current, scientific studies that I needed to hear. My understanding of how nutrition fits into my life has greatly increased, as well as my physical and emotional health. Among all of these things, she was accommodating logistically, responsive, and malleable to meet my needs with scheduling and other sometimes annoying processes; she navigated these with ease. I can 100% say that not going to her would have been a great disservice to myself and she has my utmost respect and highest recommendation, always."
- "As someone recovering from an eating disorder, working with Marisa kickstarted the process of breaking down long-term negative thoughts and emotions I had about food. Marisa helped me identify certain thought patterns as “eating disorder” thoughts which helped me rise above deeply ingrained ways of thinking. By working with Marisa, I learned how to trust my body to try, and subsequently enjoy, different foods. I have since slowly started the process of intuitive eating and am on my way to being a better human because of it. I know I could not have started this process without Marisa's help!” - Kennedy
- I found Marisa Michael's nutrition workshop for dancers absolutely wonderful. She had the dancers write down a nutrition question beforehand and for her to review before the class. She was very engaged with the students and was extremely well prepared and thorough. There was involvement with the dancers from the get go so they felt it was for and about them. Ms. Michael talked about the topic of eating disorders with grace and authenticity. A difficult subject to bring up in the dance world but she handled it with great skill.I would recommend Marisa to all athletes and dancers as a go to person that really understands the nutritional needs of such active young people.~Nancy Davis, Artistic Director, The Portland Ballet