Our process and pledge
Congratulations! You’ve made your first step toward better health and wellness! After you’ve made an appointment, I email you an intake form that asks simple questions about your goals, usual eating patterns, and health history.
Everything we do together is tailored around your goals and needs. I coach you through the process of changing what and how you eat, but also guide you through the whys of each change. You never make a change you’re not comfortable with. We work together without guilt, judgment, or shame about food choices or body image.
We promise to guide you through nutrition changes with respect, non-judgement, and support. We honor your health history, goals, needs, lifestyle, and mental health. We never sell you supplements, oils, pills, or shakes. We keep our business free of conflict-of-interest to make sure your interests come first.
Real Nutrition accepts Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cigna, and PacificSource. Call your insurance provider to check if your plan covers nutrition service. Your visit may be covered at no cost to you!
Ask your insurance company:
- Do I have nutrition benefits?
- Is there a limit to the number of visits?
- Does it matter why I see the dietitian?
If an insurance claim is filed, but denied, you will be responsible for the full price of the visit.
$125: 60-minute nutrition consultation (due at time of service)
$500: Athlete package
$50: Body composition scan
Healthy Changes packages: contact me for details
Package details under the “Pricing” menu at the top of the page
Payments are due at time of service. Prompt-pay rates are listed above. Payment billed/received after time of service are billed at a higher rate of $253 for an initial 60-minute consultation, or $209 for a follow-up 60-minute consultation.
- Marisa Michael’s body composition scan is really interesting and gave me a lot of insight. I was able to see my muscle and fat via ultrasound and compare it to how my body will look in a could months, after marathon training. She’s helped me immensely with my diet during my training. Before I met with Marisa, I had no idea what proper nutrition looked like for a marathoner; now I know how to eat properly to fuel my body for training and recovery.
- Working with Marisa was really helpful for me. I was able to let go of my anxiety around food and body image and instead focus on establishing consistent healthy habits that help me feel good. I went from constantly worrying about my body size, my weight, and what or how much I was eating to feeling calm and peaceful and enjoying a positive, happy relationship with food. Marisa is very positive and encouraging. She helped me to make long-term changes, including establishing regular exercise routines, increasing my awareness of my body’s needs and signals, and making time for healthy eating a priority. She was great at giving me small, “do-able,” concrete assignments and then providing accountability and feedback. She also helped me evaluate what was working and not working for my body and how to set goals and make decisions based on what worked for me. She has a thoroughly sane and sensible approach to the highly-charged topics of weight loss, food and exercise. I highly recommend her. ~Karen
- D.S."I would highly recommend Marisa Michael from Real Nutrition. I have been a client of hers for almost 2 months at weekly visits due to my needs! She has been so helpful for me to learn things about myself and my nutrition habits and how to work on correcting them. I have seen many other nutritionists, but none have been as hands-on as I was wanting until I found Marisa. She is very knowledgable and patient with me. She goes the extra mile when it comes to her clients' health and nutritional needs. I am so happy and lucky I have her to help me with my nutritional goals. She is the best nutritionist I have ever seen and would recommend her to anyone who is needing nutritional advice, help, or guidance." ~D.S.
- "It is difficult to put into words how much Marisa has positively impacted my life. After speaking with several nutritionists, she took me in, listened to my emotional breakdowns, emailed me after hours to answer my random late-night questions, and was a consistent rock of information in my life (and still is). She knew how to speak to me in a language that I could understand and appreciate while backing it up with current, scientific studies that I needed to hear. My understanding of how nutrition fits into my life has greatly increased, as well as my physical and emotional health. Among all of these things, she was accommodating logistically, responsive, and malleable to meet my needs with scheduling and other sometimes annoying processes; she navigated these with ease. I can 100% say that not going to her would have been a great disservice to myself and she has my utmost respect and highest recommendation, always."
- "One of my main concerns is that my teen would burn out too quickly. We wanted to make sure she was getting enough of the right kind of nutrition to help her physically and academically. Marisa talked us through her daily schedule and goals...gave suggestions of what type of food to fuel her through the day and workouts. [Marisa] was a great resource for both of us. I'd highly recommend Marisa to help you make the most out of your nutrition. Plus she's awesome."
- I found Marisa Michael's nutrition workshop for dancers absolutely wonderful. She had the dancers write down a nutrition question beforehand and for her to review before the class. She was very engaged with the students and was extremely well prepared and thorough. There was involvement with the dancers from the get go so they felt it was for and about them. Ms. Michael talked about the topic of eating disorders with grace and authenticity. A difficult subject to bring up in the dance world but she handled it with great skill.I would recommend Marisa to all athletes and dancers as a go to person that really understands the nutritional needs of such active young people.~Nancy Davis, Artistic Director, The Portland Ballet